There are many different types of origami hearts, from basic to advanced. There are some with pockets for notes, some with stands, double origami hearts, and, as you will learn through this tutorial, origami hearts with floral centers. This craft is great for Valentines Day, anniversaries, birthdays, or those just-because-I-love-you days.
Simple Origami Hearts:
Watch this video for instructions on
a simple origami heart.
Play the video to the right to learn to create a standard origami heart, or click one of the links below for instructions on other forms of this particular paper craft.
Read each step of the process and look at the accompanying image carefully. This tutorial will walk you through each stage of completing your floral origami heart.
1. Take a regular size sheet of paper and fold it in half length wise (hotdog)
2. Carefully fold down each corner, and then unfold it, creating the creases for step
2 1/2 -
3. Press middle triangles inward to create pointed ends at either side of the paper.
3 1\2 -
4. Pull up edges of the triangled corners to meet the point; creating a square within the triangles. (This is called a valley fold)
4 1/2 -
5. Open the 4 smaller triangles (which make up the two large squares) and squash down the folded sides of each half of the inner square, creating four squares from the previous two.
5 1\2 -
6. Carefully sink both pointed ends of the piece (this may require unfolding and refolding the edges). Do not just fold tips backward. Tips should be pointing INTO the edge, as illustrated in figure 5 1/2.
6 1\2 -
7. Valley fold the edges of the four inner squares to create four kite-like shapes.
7 1\2 -
8. Squash out the triangles of the kites, turning 4 kites into 8. (This is similar to what you did in step 5)
8 1\2 -
9. Fold the entire piece in half. (Decorated edges on the inside).
10. Fold the inner, decorated layer outward so that the decorated pieces are pressed together in the center.
11. Fold in the extended tip so one edge of the paper is to a point. This will create a flap on the back of the origami heart necessary for step 13.
12. Fold down the top part of the soon to be origami heart, creating a heart-like top to the peice
13. Using the folded piece from step 11, slip the folded bottom flap into the center of the folded top flap. This will hold the top flat down.
14. Flip the whole piece over so the decorated side is face up. Your origami heart with floral center is complete.
Once you have completed the project, give the origami heart to someone special!